Friday, July 31, 2015

Fiction by Meg Pokrass and other short pieces from First Class Literary Magazine and Right Hand Pointing

~
We waited for the phone to ring, for money to plump itself up and walk through our door.  Plenty of moments passed with yarn and crochet hooks.  I made hats that never fit and were put away in a trunk with the old games we didn't have the energy to play.  
--From "Diagram," one of ten pieces of microfiction by Meg Pokrass, FRiGG (Spring 2009).  

My husband, Gordon, looked as though he'd found religionas though he'd never tasted real food before this beef stew meal at Angie and Ron's.  He appeared to be sucking his teeth after every bite, taking his time, thinking about what he'd suckedthen stabbing a new forkful.  
--From "I Married This," short fiction by Meg Pokrass, The Literarian, Issue 9.

Look at the Korean woman.  How she uses her teeth to pull a prawn off a chopstick.  How she catches the tail from her mouth on a fork.  
--From "Ajumma," postcard nonfiction by Peyton Lunzer, First Class Literary Magazine (January 5, 2015).

I ask 
if you
have put
the sheets
I washed
back on 
the guest
bed . . .
--From "The Problem," postcard poetry by Rebecca Lartigue, First Class Literary Magazine (July 27, 2015).

At Subway, I politely but firmly order a drink and cookie with my sandwich hoping they don't say anything.  And the cashier always says "the meal comes with a drink and TWO cookies."  And I'm always like "yeah, I just don't need two cookies."  And they're always like "well you're paying for two cookies.  It's actually more to just get one." 
--From The Note for Issue 89 of the journal, by Claire Wisely, Right Hand Pointing, Issue 89 (2015).

Because the world is mean . . .
--From "I Study Her Like an Escape Plan," a poem under 25 words by Glen Armstrong, Right Hand Pointing, Issue 89 (2015).

Scrawled on the side . . .
--From "Graffiti," a poem under 25 words by Tammy Bendetti, Right Hand Pointing, Issue 89 (2015).

Nobody showed up for the premiere of my play Performing Privacy.  
--From three pieces on the concept of "sort" by Mark Cunningham, Right Hand Pointing, Issue 88 (2015).

No comments: