Thursday, March 8, 2007

Another Five Favorites, Some Recent and Some That Have Stuck in My Mind

~
"The Dead Boy at Your Window" by Bruce Holland Rogers (a short story which originally appeared in The North American Review in 1998 and is reprinted online at Tales of the Decongested; there is also a short student film by Ian Schranz based on this story, and it is available on YouTube)

"Favors" by Beth Ann Fennelly (a poem from Blackbird, Volume 3, Number 1, Spring 2004)

"For a Newly Divorced Friend Whose Ex-Husband Claims She Stole His Favorite Tupperware Bowl" by Jeff Worley (a poem from Indiana Review, Volume 19, Number 2, Fall 1996, and reprinted in Proposing on the Brooklyn Bridge, ed. by Ginny Lowe Connors)

"Disconnect" by Donna Vorreyer (a prose poem from Flashquake, Volume 4, Issue 3, Spring 2005)

"Dinner Parties and Post Nuptials" by Emilia A. Phillips (a poem from The Pedestal Magazine, Issue 38, February/March 2007)

4 comments:

Bruce Holland Rogers said...

I love Google blog alerts.

"Psst! Bruce! Someone is talking about you!"

I'm glad that "Dead Boy" makes your list. It's one of my most re-printed and most translated stories.

Leah Browning said...

Thanks, Bruce. I'm not surprised that "Dead Boy" has so many fans. This story has lingered with me for a long time. After I read it, I discovered the student film, which was so simple and yet so evocative.

Emilia Phillips said...

Thanks for the support. It's always a pleasure to stumble upon someone who has read and enjoyed my work.

Peace.
Emilia

Leah Browning said...

You're welcome, Emilia. That was such a fresh poem; it was really well done.

Leah